Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Remembering my school days

Have been thinking to write this for some time. A rare personal article on this blog. Since I left Trivandrum for Chennai in search of job, I had seldom visited the places where I grew up. During one of my recent visits to Trivandrum, I took time to visit the places I studied. Below are some pictures of places which shaped my early days.

Vishwabharathi Nursery School, Karamana
Vishwabharati Nursery School, Karamana, Trivandrum

My early schooling started at Vishwabharati Nursery School opposite to where we used to stay in Karamana. I am surprised to see that it has not changed after so many years. It has been more than 30 years since I walked out of this school. I might have studied pre-KG and LKG here.

After my time here, I was moved to one of the best schools in Trivandrum at that time, Chinmaya Vidyalaya, Vazhuthacaud. It was one of the first schools started by Chinmaya Mission in 1969. Since the school was away from my home, there was a taxi which dropped us to school every day. During this time, I got to meet Swamy Chinmayananda who was a frequent visitor to the school. He used to spent good time with the students. I still remember him reaching us how to do magic with a coin. He is one of the early influences in my life to show how divinity would be using his calming presence. I studied here till my 6th standard. At that time this school was only having lower primary classes and hence I had to move out.

Govt High School for Girls, Karamana
Govt. Girls High School, Karamana, Trivandrum


Govt High School for Boys, Karamana
Govt. Boys High School, Karamana, Trivandrum

My next school was Government High School, Karamana. Walkable from my home, this school was on the banks for Karamana River, one of the major rivers flowing through Trivandrum. Both boys and girls high school were on the same campus and shared a common playground. Boys school had a good building and Girls school was having building only for class 10. Other classes were held in bamboo sheds with coconut leaf thatched roof.

Me having studied in English medium joined the Girls school since Boys school had only Malayalam medium. The school had one division for every class as co-ed with English as a medium. I studied here from 7th to 10th (SSLC). Most of my fond memories about school life are during this time. I was an average student who didn't hog any limelight during my school days.

Karamana River, Trivandrum
Karamana River

During out past time, other than playing games of football, cricket, kabaddi etc, we used to go fishing in the river. There was only a wall separating the school from the river and whenever water rises in the river we used to get holiday.

Govt School Ground, Karamana

We had a fairly big ground shared by Boys and Girls schools. The ground was in the same condition now as it was at that time. It was a fine example of gender harmony. I was in the Cricket, Football and Kabaddi team during this time. This is where I studied cycling using my friend's BSA SLR cycle. I used to rent cycle in the nearby shop and roam around here during weekends.

After finishing 10th, I studied Pre-degree course (10+2 at school was introduced later) at Mahatma Gandhi College, Trivandrum.  I will save that for another post.

SSLPS, Karamana
Sankara Subbaiyer Lower Primary School, Karamana where my brothers had their primary education.

4 comments:

  1. Very much...informative, Communicative and easy to read articles..Especially the article concerned with Karamana..earns my attention. I have seen most of these places from my childhood, but these photos makes me stop to look twice :) Same with the other TVM Padmanabha Temple article. Carry on the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very much..informative, Communicative and easy to read article. Especially the above one concerned with Karamana and TVM Padmanabha Temple earns my attention. I have seen most of these places from my childhood, but these photos stops me to look twice... & ponder the value of my place.. Thanks for sharing such photos and Carry on the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes.I also had my primary schooling at SSLPS Karamana (TAMIL medium)
    Sri Krishna Iyer was our Headmaster. There was one Ramani Bai teacher from our neighbourhood at Mangad lane.
    My younger brother also studied here.
    I had my high school education at Govt. High School Chalai (Killipalam) Then Intermediate College Trivandrum, University College Trivandrum& Medical College Trivandrum
    Afterwards I joined Army Medical Corps and used to visit TV only during holidays.
    Good old days.. brings an odd pleasant nostalgic pain in the throat and heaviness in the heart.!
    We are at Pune.
    I am eagerly waiting for 13- 14 December 2014 to be in Trivandrum for the Golden Jubilee reunion of Alumni 64 of Medical College Trivandrum.
    Your presentation is superb.
    Dr. (Col) H.Ramachandran

    ReplyDelete

Provide your comments about this post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...